Monday, January 09, 2006

Thoughts on the dedication of a person who chooses to be a Vet

So the vet came last week. He brought with him a twenty thousand dollar ultrasound machine, and a whole heap of other stuff. He was here about an hour, scanned Ears and gave her an internal, watched her trot up and gave an opinion about the state of her hindquarters (she appears to me to be a little stiff, but I don't know her well enough to be sure), discussed foaling complications and how soon he could get to our place at 2 in the morning should that be required, checked the littlest mini's nose as he keeps getting a snotty one (hayfever probably) and looked at the cats sunburnt ears. The account arrived this morning (he even extends credit which is trusting IMO)-$110.

In comparison the farrier came this morning, he did bring a mobile forge and bits and pieces but all he used was a rasp and a hoof knife. 4 horses, 4 trims, discussed the crack in Kiwi's hoof (coming right), all over in half an hour - $120 (cash thanks! though in his defence I guess I have never asked for credit as I wouldn't expect it)

Somehow I think the vet is getting a raw deal.

2 comments:

Miramar Mike said...

You could pop in an extra $20, just to make you feel good ;-)

wino said...

Hey Mike - actually I hadn't considered it that way, most ungenerously I was thinking about pointing out to the farrier that he was too expensive. Selfish of me...