Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Yesterday I was going to write an "I hate Telecom" post

And it would have been here now had I not fallen off my dial up internet connection and lost it.

And things have moved along - today I feel far more charitable about them.

Yesterday I rang the "Xtra get broadband" phone number. I was put through to Brian. Now I can only advise that if you ring Xtra and get Brian that you hang up and call back later. If you are inclined to high blood pressure, heart problems, hyperventilating or similar I suggest you have your medication on hand before you attempt any conversation with Brian. In short Brian is a bumped up little smartarse.

Anyway I got Brian. I explained with reasonable civility that whenever Xtra ran a line check on my phone line they found I could not have Broadband because I was too far from the exchange, but my neighbour had it so obviously I wasn't too far from the exchange.

"Is this a near neighbour or are you talking about someone a couple of kilometres down the road?" asks Brian with just a hint of sarcasm.

"I am talking about 5o metres away, close enough to use our cordless phone at their place."
"Well you must have a good cordless phone!"
Still feeling reasonably civil I tell him that since it cost $99 three years ago and is still working fine I do consider our cordless phone a good one, but I wouldn't call it a state of the art appliance.
"hmm" says Brian. "They probably have satelitte, what's their phone number?"
I tell him their phone number.. I wait while he looks it up. "Yes they MIGHT have Jetstream" he says in due course. "But that doesn't mean you can have it as the tests say it won't work on your phone line, so you can't"

"Well could you explain to me what the difference is, between them and me, because I cannot see why it should work at their place and not ours, if there is a fault in our line perhaps someone would be good enough to fix it for me. I don't understand this. "

"No, it's just the way it is, you can't have it, we aren't obliged to supply you with anything, or fix anything. This happens all the time next door neighbours often can't get what their neighbours get. You should go and live in town then you can have Jetstream. Otherwise you can have satellite, every single person in the whole country can have that. I spend all day talking to people like you."

Something snaps at about this point. "Do not tell me where I should and shouldn't live thank you, I am not prepared to pay for satellite installation, and I want to talk to your supervisor."

"Why? She'll tell you exactly the same thing. We don't have to provide you with anything, I don't even have to keep talking to you. Anyway you can't talk to her she's not available"

"Right well give me her name and email address. And your name"
"Why? It won't do you any good, you won't get broadband."
"At this point I don't care, I am going to complain to someone."
"Well it is a waste of time."
"As I said I don't care, I am going to complain. Can I have her name and e-mail address and your name?"
So he gives me his supervisors name and e-mail, but won't give me his surname. In the end he gives me his employee number. In between every detail he tells me that I am wasting my time, I will not achieve anything, and I am not entitled to anything anyway so I have no right to suggest that they should be providing me with anything. I thank him somewhat abruptly and hang up.

I e-mail his supervisor. This is made a little difficult by the fact that he appears to have given me an e-mail address that doesn't work. Mind you I could have written it down incorrectly between being told I am wasting my time and everyone else will tell me exactly the same thing. I play with the spelling a little and get the right e-mail the third time. Supervisor must have only been out for a short time because she replies immediately advising she will refer my case to the technicians to see if anything can be done, and she just so happened to have my conversation with Brian recorded as part of the random recording for training they do, so she would listen to it later and look into my complaint that he was rude and unhelpful. There is some small satisfaction in just complaining about Brian, even if I never get broadband.

Get home this evening and there is a phone call from the supervisor asking me to ring her so they can organise a installation of Jetstream to see if it will work at my place. I'm still taking this in when the phone rings and it is the evening shift supervisor who had inherited the problem when the morning supervisor went home and thought she would just ring me on the off chance she could catch me. She is very very sorry about Brian. Lots of people with more authority than Brian have now listened to the tape of our conversation and they are all somewhat amazed and quite appalled that he spoke to me like that. Further training will be applied to Brian immediately as he cannot treat people like this. I smirk but am extremely gracious in accepting the apology.

Now lets sort my broadband installation out.

They are coming next week to install Jetstream to see if it will work. The line is marginal but it could well work fine. We may need a special modem, but will try the standard one first.

YES!

(And Brian..... up yours)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC!!!! You're my hero(ine)! We must all fight against the Brian's of this world.

Smarmy jumped-up little toe-rag.

Great about your broadband too - I myself have elastic band....

wino said...

Thanks Caroline. Having had a rubberband for long enough I feel it is time for a change *grin*

Unfortunately on a assertive roll I sought to take on our one lot of bad neighbours too. Did not work quite as well - now contemplating firearms... More on this later.

But yes! fast internet! (hopefully)

Anonymous said...

Ohh Guns....as you know I know a thing or two about foul neighbours. I shall watch and read with interest and try and pick up a few tips.

Fabulous about broadband though - how's it going?

PS: Did I mention that this was also a brilliantly funny post?

wino said...

Bet that was Brian Clods! Brian knows everything, so of course he would know that you didn't have broadband LOL.

Really hope mine works, then I'm going to get wireless as well and sit on the deck with my laptop... life is almost complete

Chris said...

Love it Wino!! I am sure I have also met Brian ..or his clone!! Hope al is well with you :-)
Chris

Karl said...

Major congrats for not taking Brian lying down! Brian will be subjected to more than just a whole lot of retraining - Telecom use a performance-based remuneration review and customer complaints factor into your next pay review very heavily.

I'm pea green with envy that you got BB. Reminds me of when Telecom rang me and offered me BB, and kept insisting I could have it even though I knew better. So I changed ISP's, signed up with Xtra, bought the hardware, and waited for installation day.

Tech didn't turn up. When we rang to nag, we eventually got a female Brian who seemed to think we were insane for even thinking we could have BB.

I kept complaining upwards until someone said "Why is this complaint on my desk?" and we ended up with a very humble apology, six months free internet (dial up), and a second phone line installed for free so that I could be online and still receive calls.

No broadband, but ;-)

wino said...

Wow Karl you got a free second line installation! I attempted to get one of those for years! Or at least a discounted one. I refused to pay $500 just because they said we lived in the country. I had it from the contractor that installed it that he did not get paid any more for our installation than he did for one in town (which was $80 installation charge) since we were still within his work area. I told them they were depriving themselves of the second line rental fee every month plus the $40 of toll calls we regularly made. I moved toll call providers. They would not budge. That was the charge and that was how much I was going to have to pay...

The jetstream installer is coming this afternoon. So still fingers crossed it is going to work.