Monday, February 14, 2005

the bad, and the good

The day got off to a bad start when the school bus made a fairly credible attempt at running me down. Here I was minding my own business composing my thoughts for the day and round the corner on the wrong side of the road at a reasonable speed comes the school bus. Avoidance landed me in the drain at the side of the road and it didn't miss me by much. (The scary part is I only have a Corolla... anything bigger and there wouldn't have been room). As my life was flashing before my eyes I didn't get to see the name of the bus company... (I will complain when I do find out what it is called! Didn't even have the decency to stop. Damage to the car seems limited to a minor scratch - though I bet the wheel alignment needs doing now too)

Heart rate recovered by morning tea time...

Later in the day an old friend rang up, from the other end of the country. We had both moved and lost contact but he had just been talking to someone who knew where I was working - seven years of gossip to catch up on!

Motivated by this I have been chasing a few more people up - and cleaning out my email list in the process. It was so exciting to hear from someone I'd lost contact with I want to do it again.

3 comments:

wino said...

Well I found out the bus company name yesterday and tried ringing them but got an answerphone so sent them an email. I have had a read receipt but no reply as yet.

Leaning towards ringing the police - especially as now I have told a few people about it and been told that the driving habits of this school bus driver often leave a lot to be desired.

wino said...

No reply from the bus company so I rang the police today. I had a choice of laying a complaint about the actual incident that landed me off the side of the road (which they advised was their word against mine so probably wouldn't achieve much - I apparently should have rung them from the drain at the time), or the nice policeman will also ring the bus company and discuss it and will make a note to occasionally patrol the road at school bus times. Chose the second option.

So I'm pleased I paid my last speeding ticket without abusing anyone LOL. It was probably coincidence but the school bus had a different driver this morning...

The point about endangering children on a daily basis is really important IMO - I no longer have children getting on the school bus but would be pretty concerned if I did. Also yesterday heading down the road the other way (but at the same time of the morning)I met a stock truck and trailer coming up - he was driving quite sedately but of necessity took up a fair bit of the narrow road, I don't really like to think about stock truck meeting bus....

wino said...

Eyes peeled for bus every morning now. It appears to pick up a few kids on the way down the road but is mostly empty at the point I meet it. Seems to be driving a little more sedately this week. Long may that last.