Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Time for a change in luck please

It's the time of year when newly qualified vets start at our local vets practice.

I guess they have a very steep learning curve.

Last year we lost a foal as the young duty vet didn't think he was THAT sick. On that day I learned that my gut instinct is more reliable than the vets thermometer, stethescope and other instruments. We still don't have a reason for his death but I should have trusted my feelings and insisted we do more for him at the time.

A while later we had the "oh it IS colic" visit. Not much point in saying I told you so though the surprise he expressed irked me a little.

Fast forward to this week and something wrong with Storm. Not eating and lacklustre but mobile and no sign of a temperature, breathing problems or anything else. Young newly qualified vet is sure she just needs hay and that the whole issue is worms. She goes over the worming schedule to the point of taking the batch number of the wormer I am using. She takes bloods and fecal samples. All negative. So she tells me there is nothing much wrong. I start getting pretty annoyed and a little irrational at this point. I know there is something wrong and it is something that is not looking like it will resolve itself whatever it is.

So we have to take Storm to Matamata tomorrow for further investigation. I'm annoyed with myself as I think I went with the vet rather than my gut a day too long again - I should have started kicking up a fuss yesterday.

Eventually they turn into great vets - they just test my sanity in the meantime.

1 comment:

Talisman Farm said...

oh sh*t. Keep me posted please and good luck!!!