Sunday, July 08, 2007

But Honey we agreed - No more kids


Bottle feeding babies wasn't in the plans.

But they are very cute



The downside of the upsurge in milking goats is they have to have babies to stay in milk. At least with cows someone usually wants the left over calves to raise for meat (though I have a certain fundamental disapproval of the concept of removing a newborn calf from its mother too, best I stick to beefie breeds and let them bring up their babies). Sadly there isn't a lot of demand for newborn goatlings though. So thousands of little goats every year don't get a chance to grow up. That's life and farming, I know.

These two girls came to live in a pen in the woodshed yesterday. They don't have names yet - still pondering those.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very very cute. I do so want another baby goat. My goat would love a friend to play with. They will freak out at work if I bring it with me though! I could always hide it under the desk, and hope its nice and quiet.

6 week old babies easier for me as I wouldn't need to take it to work and it wouldn't need feeding so often.

Good luck with your babies! Enjoy them while they are young - it doesn't last long.

wino said...

I reckon if you took a kid to work you would have everyone fussing over it in about an hour. Actually I was able to get some lamb teats for the calf feeders so these girls are going onto demand feeding this afternoon, have had them on bottles just to make sure they were both drinking properly and getting enough but they seem fine so can help themselves. (it would have happened this morning but the neighbours grandaughter and friend have been over to have a look at them and are going to do the feed at 1pm.) They have been named too - and think it might stick - the girls have called them Dancer and Splash.

Talisman Farm said...

OMG - TOO cute! I didn't know you had a blog. Now I do, I shall be looking forward to the updates :)