Sunday, March 13, 2005

New toy/pet/liability

Meet Kiwi who came to live with us today.

As horse buys go he's a bit of a dud since he is currently recovering from a stone bruise, and on antibiotics for a bug.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
But I looked at him and he looked at me and I figured it was meant to be. His last owner who had rescued him said later that she knew that I was the owner for him after talking on the phone and was sure I would take him.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

He's a five year old TB with the most awesome nature, totally laid back. I saw a video of him being ridden on two different occasions by inexperienced riders - walk trot and canter with the reins in loops.... in company and totally uncompetitive (apparently his racing career ended at his first trial - he doesn't have enough aggression to be bothered)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
He's a bit thin for my liking at present but should put a bit more fat on now he's on reasonable grazing.

I'm hoping he is fit enough for me to have a ride before I get scheduled for surgery and won't be able to do anything for six weeks.

2 comments:

wino said...

Hospital? Operation?

No idea - stilllllll waiting, supposed to hear this week (but it was the 24th of Feb when I was told I would probably be in surgery in a couple of weeks... now that was nearly 3 weeks ago.... the where is still open to debate (either Auckland or Tauranga), but the doctor I saw seemed fairly sure they would slice me down the middle and have a good poke round my insides again.

Since it is obviously not that urgent I've decided to carry on with life in the meantime.

Kiwi horse has had the good grass go straight to his head - he is hooning round the paddock at a hundred miles an hour tonight. No sign of lameness at all.

wino said...

Lovely grass in that paddock BB. It was chewed out by the cattle a month ago and has been growing like crazy
ever since. We are about to move the cattle into the back paddock which is waist high standing hay and hoping that the paddock they have just about cleaned out will come away the same. After struggling with gorse and blackberry in the last place I just love this pasture!