Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Lifestyle?

Husband rose at the crack of dawn to go to Auckland. Actually it was before the crack of dawn. He hung the washing out but the rest of the chores were up to me.

I had to be in Taupo by 9am meaning I had to leave home at 7.30 at the very latest. So at 7.15 I was ready to uncover horses, feed chooks, and give Kiwi his morning feed with drugs. Was dressed for work (trying to look like the professional person my job description says I am) so grabbed the old oilskin from the laundry to prevent getting grubby.

Fed the chooks no trouble. Ya gotta love hens, they have such a capacity for happiness (probably because they have a brain the size of a pea) give them some laying pellets, the outside leaves of a lettuce, half a slice of vegemite toast and last nights leftovers and they think they are in heaven.

Horse covers next - took Brandy's cover off, then Calypso snuck up behind me, had a sniff of the oilskin and decided this was no one he knew. In fact it was some evil person who was there with the express purpose of hurting small horses in ways that only he could imagine. He retired to the middle of the paddock in a panic. In an effort to get him to come closer I offered him Kiwi's breakfast. Now Calypso knew for sure that no one with good intentions would offer a fat little horse a bucket that big. Obviously I was offering him poison. He ran faster.

As he was wearing a winter weight cover he would have baked right through if I had left it on, so I took the oilskin off. Managed to corner him by the watertrough (he was thirsty after running round) and he was so relieved to find that it was me and not the smelly oilskin monster after all that he dribbled all over my shoulder when I undid the front strap of his cover. (well so much for the staying clean plan)

General appearance was further improved when Kiwi gave me a chaffy kiss after the first mouthful of his breakfast.

Right it's just past half past. I can go as soon as I brush the slobber out of my hair and change my top... the trouble is - domestic goddess that I am - I appear to be somewhat behind in the ironing. Found one ironed shirt but it proved to be missing a button - so it was back to the ironing board.

Finally left home at 7.55, noting that I appeared a little low on petrol too, with some sort of vague idea that I might be able to make up the time (yeah right!). That was before I got to the outskirts of Rotorua where there was a traffic jam. I don't believe it - this is Rotorua, there aren't enough people live here to create this queue of cars. (Bloody tourists!) . Fuel light has been on some time and I am destined to run out of petrol in a line of traffic moving at 2 km an hour... (well at least there will be someone round to help me) . It is 8:40 and unless a helicopter appears there is no way I will cover the 100 odd kilometres to Taupo in time. I ring the man I was to meet at that time and reschedule. He sounds a bit put out and disbelieving (yeah, like I would make up a traffic jam in Rotorua, now if I was going to tell a lie I would at least think up a plausible one.)

Anyway made it to the service station and filled the car - emptier than I have had it to date.... and looking at the weeks worth of gravel road dust on it decided a carwash might be a good idea. The car was emerging from the dust and I am sitting there fighting that feeling you have that you are moving when in fact you are still and everything is moving round you, when the aerial goes twang, and then more ominously Snap. Yes I know, they tell you to put your aerial down, they even say it isn't their fault when your aerial snaps and your spoiler falls off. I have never put the aerial down... This wasn't that type of aerial....(the type that goes down) but not to worry because it isn't really any kind of aerial now and I will be able to reconsider what type of receiving device I use to gather radio signals for my listening enjoyment. CD still works. I put a CD on. Some compilation of non memorable music - sounds just like the radio anyway and without the ads.


Eventually got to Taupo and man I was supposed to meet was very pleasant and agreed with everything I said. This was probably not because he personally felt everything I said was correct, it is likely he decided that any woman who can get stuck in a traffic jam in Rotorua is an idiot and there is no point arguing with her.

Rest of the day was fairly uneventful - eventually went home and repeated or reversed everything I did this morning, plus a few more things like have a chat to the cows, and also had an argument with the water supply which has some characteristics only my husband has come to terms with. Eventually (after 30 minutes) managed to get water into all troughs and things, was close to getting a bucket...

Not sure I have time to go to work tomorrow.

3 comments:

llew said...

A friend of mine, just jammed an old coat hanger into the bit where his aerial fell off. It seemed to work quite well.

Although it did not improve the appearance of his car.

wino said...

Coathanger has merits Llew, the wire ones appear to be breeding in the back of the wardrobe so very low cost option and I could sit in the carwash straightening the hooky bit out on a new one ready to go on when the old one is swept away by the brushy things .

wino said...

Further update on the aerial thing - husband found a piece of number 8 fencing wire as a temporary aerial. I still have it (haven't been through a carwash again gave the car a bath with the bucket and hose instead.

I'm planning on keeping it for a while as it works a lot better than the last (factory toymota) one.