Thursday, December 01, 2005

It's a day where things have not gone quite right

but not quite wrong either...

Yesterday I booked the cats into the vet for vaccinations and check ups for later this afternoon. Then I had to ring back and change that this morning as that isn't going to work in with the rest of my life. I always feel like such a complete idiot when I have to change appointments like that - like I don't know what I am doing from one day to the next.

Then the farrier didn't show this morning. Neither did he ring, nor did he answer his cellphone. This isn't like him at all. I hope he hasn't been kicked in the head by a horse and is lying unconscious somewhere... (after all it's darn hard finding a decent farrier - and apart from that I quite like the guy).

After having horses tied up and waiting for their manicure for over an hour and a half (they got a good grooming and even had their faces and tails washed while waiting) I was late starting the christmas cake I was intending to bake this morning. For some stupid reason I thought I would double the mixture - probably because I had enough ingredients to double the mixture. Which went very well until I broke the electric beater as the struggle with a whole pack of butter, half a kilo of sugar and ten eggs proved too much for it. Finishing off the mixing with a wooden spoon almost proved too much for my shoulders but I eventually got it done. It is all very well when you have an enormous bowl of fruit cake mixture (wafting brandy fumes everywhere - I was tempting just to have it for lunch) and after turning out every cupboard in the kitchen I find the big cake tin has done a runner. I then remembered I loaned that cake tin to someone last year and it was never returned, so it's two small Christmas cakes not one big one, and I only have about 20cm of baking paper left, so had to use my grandmothers trick and line the cake tins with brown paper. And I forgot that Christmas cake takes at least three hours to bake so I am stuck here watching it, when I should be out getting the tiles I ordered yesterday.... or maybe I should just be out on the tiles.

No comments: