Friday, May 13, 2005

Why I blog

No this isn't an essay on how many people I know in Cyberspace or how much satisfaction this gives me....

It's more a conversation with myself (I do that - have chats to myself)

I have a stats counter on this blog, but I hardly ever look at it - it makes me nervous because I really don't know if I want thousands of readers or none. But I guess I don't want none, otherwise I would be writing this in a Word document and keeping it on my C: drive. And I don't think I want thousands - big parties make me feel shy and I drink too much.

So I can't decide if I should be happy or sad if no one drops in to see what I am doing. Usually someone or two or ten does so I know I'm not talking to myself, and then I start wondering just who I am talking to.... I know who some of you are, but I get some unidentified extras....not that that matters much (I mean if they decide I'm an idiot they can just go away again, not really a problem, or if they want to come back occasionally that's fine by me too)

So probably I should just give the stats counter a miss, then I wouldn't have to worry about it.

4 comments:

wino said...

Thanks Spider - noticed you in the stats LOL (someone kept dropping in from Ireland)

Have just caught up with your newest posting too - more please :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Wino
I know EXACTLY what you mean...it's a strange conundrum no? Why do we do this? I am actually fiercely private about many things – and if I write about my children (and lets face it, most of my life is them, so I try not to) I ask their permission..

I think we write because we ‘have’ to. I could see you were a writer on LSB. I think we have a need to express ourselves in the written word. I think we feel better understood on paper. I think too much sometimes…

The stats thing is like drug. My reaction is: ****! Who are these people? The first time I looked at it I wanted to cry.

You must keep writing, and you know that, because it’s your way of expressing yourself.

Mine too.

(and good to see you too Spider - coming home yet?)

wino said...

LOL Caroline - you finished off what I didn't quite express and conveyed it exactly the way it is.

Funny I've got extremely attached to blogging, which wasn't something I originally thought I wanted to do, and I guess when it comes down to it I am really only doing it for myself (and maybe to leave a tiny mark in cyberspace - a bit like scratching your initials on a school desk :-))

Anonymous said...

Brilliant analogy!