Saturday, February 12, 2005

Now I feel like a mean nasty person

Have just had to ask the neighbours not to let their seven year old granddaughter go into the paddock with the horses. Found her before sitting just about under their feet as they grazed, hanging onto one round the neck. (umm that is still a 175kg animal!)



Tried to soften the don't bit by telling her to come over tomorrow and she can groom them if she wants and I’ll show her how to lead them. Suspect they think I am being mean nasty grouchy person not letting the little girl play with the cute little horses…. And perhaps I am being an over zealous colt owner – given that this colt is less than 30 inches high, but he is quite capable of standing on his hind legs and waving his front hooves round when something irks him (doesn’t do it very often but he does do it) While I am not particularly afraid of a small colt rearing I do not like to think of the damage he could cause to someone much closer to the ground.



Anyway would you let a child go and play with the neighbours cute sheep, cows, farmdogs, deer, etc without asking?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys - must admit I was quite shocked when I saw her out there, and went straight across to the neighbours to say don't let her go in there... They said "but she just adores them... I'm sure she wouldn't hurt them" That was NOT the point! They seemed so guilelessly naive about the dangers that I came home feeling like an absolute spoilsport and wondering if I was over reacting (and wrecking neighbourly relations before we had them started). However had a chat across the fence to her Nana this morning and she agreed that she wouldn't let her grandaughter go play with the ram, but she hadn't given much thought to the fact that a mini could be as dangerous....
The issue of trespassing on our property is another one again *sigh* - hotwiring the boundaries has merit.

wino said...

Ohh darn - I seem to have posted that as anonymous....