Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree

Our Christmas tree in no way resembles the photo. For starters it is a real tree.

And when you go out with the chainsaw and take out a tree that seems fairly small compared to the half grown pines you lose your sense of perspective and have to cut a metre off the tree so it fits under the 3.6 metre stud. It is definitely the largest tree ever, though not the most densely branched one. Those carefully grown Christmas trees they sell at exorbitant prices are definitely prettier than our tree.

Too late and never mind - it is here now. I hope the angel on the top of the tree doesn't get vertigo.

For the last couple of years I have also been left pondering why, when there is an endless choice of Christmas decorations now I can't find a set of tree lights that I like as much as the two sets we currently have (one of which is over 20 years old). I am further spurred on to replace them as electrician husband mutters that they aren't considered safe these days being plugged straight into 240 volts. I have visions of visiting toddlers reaching out and being fried on the 20 year old 240 volt lights. I tried again this year and found a set I did quite like, took them home and plugged them in to find only half the string worked. When I tried to replace them they didn't have any left so had to refund me. I guess the old ones are here for another year. Another case of too late that's the way it is now and I have made a mental note to unplug the lights if any toddlers are visiting.

So here I sit - glass in hand, critiquing the Christmas Tree and contemplating the year that was.

Merry Christmas to you.





2 comments:

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

Wishing you all the best for 2010 xx

Lindsay Mitchell said...

You would laugh at the state of our tree this year. The kittens have been systematically stripping the branches of needles. I think they watch me endlessly sweeping up the results and figure I must want more. The same way they obligingly deliver mice and lizards for human gratification.