Friday, June 10, 2005

Insular

I like being by myself... I don't get scared alone in the dark (much anyway) I like solitary and bordering on antisocial pursuits - reading, writing, scrapbooking, gardening, solitary horse grooming sessions. I like riding alone, walking alone, I used to jog with only a dog for company. A package tour holiday with the same 30 people for 10 days would drive me demented. I choose to live where the neighbours can't see into my windows, I work best in an enclosed office rather than an open plan one.

Most of the time I am moderately happy to have some human interaction in my day, but if I go a day or two without seeing anyone it doesn't upset me. Happily I have a husband with a similar outlook so we can be antisocial together.

The 'people people' I know find this disconcerting, as if contentment with aloneness is some sign of psychological disturbance. It is good for me to go out apparently. It is equally good for people I know only vaguely to come and keep me company....

They mean well - they just don't understand that I am quite comfortable with solitude.

1 comment:

wino said...

Know just how that feels. My office I get to myself but it has no door and this means that people feel they can come in without invitation. Or they peer in, find me working hard and in my own little dreamworld as I ponder whatever I am doing and ask me anxiously if I am alright (because I didn't notice them immediately). I'm an 'introverted intuiative' according to those tests (whatever they are called). What amuses me is that people who don't like being alone can't understand that other people might not mind....